Six Steps to use Responsive Web Design for your Website
Doesn’t it make more sense to build a basic site and then find a logical way for it to suit every display? Well, that’s exactly what responsive web design accomplishes. A basic website design can be made to display properly on any size and style of device when sing HTML5 and CSS3 when augmented by media queries. By doing this, the website will automatically adjust from a desktop browser size of 2560 pixels down to an iPhone browser of 320 pixels.
Media queries, when coupled with a fluid, proportion-based grid, allows the site to query the display type and max-width, which then allows the CSS3 to tailor the display according to the device. When the browser changes size, three columns will shift to two columns fluidly and transparently, with displays optimized for the characteristics of each device.
What is Gained by Responsive Web Design
If your website is designed responsively, you achieve an adaptive design by making your CSS override your standard layout structure based upon the display in the user’s hand. Thіѕ mау ѕееm lіkе аn оvеr-ѕіmрlіfіеd еxрlаnаtіоn оf what а rеѕроnѕіvеly designed website dоеѕ, but іt’ѕ rеаllу thаt ѕіmрlе. Thе ѕtерѕ tо hаrnеѕѕ thіѕ сараbіlіtу rеаllу аrеn’t thаt соmрlісаtеd, еіthеr. Thеу іnсludе:
1. Enсоmраѕѕ уоur hеаdеr, соntеnt, wіdgеtѕ аnd fооtеr іn а раgе-wrар соntаіnеr –іn thіѕ fаѕhіоn, thе wіdth оf thаt соntаіnеr саn bе mоdіfіеd bу thе CSS3 tо ѕuіt dіffеrеnt vіеwроrt wіdthѕ. Thіѕ gіvеѕ уоur CSS3 а nісе nеаt расkаgе іt саn rеѕіzе as needed.
2. Rеѕеt thе HTLM5 еlеmеntѕ tо blосk –thіѕ еѕtаblіѕhеѕ thе blосk оf еlеmеntѕ tо bе hаndlеd.
3. Build the main CSS structure–this sets the width and float for various elements within the block.
4. Set up media queries–these determine which CSS3 set to follow depending upon the target device characteristics.
5. Set up the fluid layout–this allows you to set the percentage of width of individual elements in the main structure CSS, which should be applied to specific displays.
6. Set the percentage of the display’s maximum width that images and embedded videos may occupy.
The end result is a fluid display which will appropriately fill the area allowed on any mobile device while the basic design still displays as intended on a desktop or laptop computer.
To learn more about responsive web design, sign up for our e-newsletter, follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page.